The Wheatsheaf, Maids Moreton

Situated in Buckinghamshire’s rolling countryside, the beautiful 17th century pub allows you to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere by an open fire. With its fresh locally sourced menu, its ever-changing selection of ale and carefully chosen wine. The Wheatsheaf at Maids Moreton is the place to come to relax and unwind.

The house has been an Inn continuously since its inception in the 1700’s but various tenants have made changes to suit there particular trades. At one point it contained the village grocery store and this tenant was the local carpenter and coffin maker. Two tenants continued there trade as blacksmiths while dispensing ale, the butchers son of a tenant converted the former grocery store into a butchers shop and the removable wooden floor in the N.E corner of the pub is the only relic of what was , until 1918, his “curing” room where sides of bacon matured. The public bar was also the Kitchen-come-dining room. Of its several tenants until 1954 where modifications to parts of the house included modification of the butchers preparation room into a kitchen and the removal of the cooking range etc. during this phase the englenook fireplace and the dutch oven, with its flint stone hearth were discovered in the public bar, all of which had been bricked up at some point by previous owners.

In 1993 the Pub was set on fire in the small hours and the entire thatched roof was lost. It was declared to be an act of arson but no one was charged. Fortunately the occupants were not injured but it took 9 months to be restored.

Today it is a free house and we welcome you to our 17 century Inn, The Wheatsheaf at Maids Morton.

The Black Boy, Oving

Situated in the heart of rural Buckinghamshire, 5 miles north of Aylesbury, The Black Boy was built circa 1524. The original building is still standing. The front door, bar area with beams, kitchen and living accommodation can still be seen. Various extensions and outbuildings were added in the 20th Century.

The Hossle or village pond, situated at the bottom of the pub gardens, was the only source of clean running spring water in the area during drought. Farmers with sheep, cattle or horses would walk their animals from miles away to the spring, which is still as abundant today. It is rumoured that Oliver Cromwell and his New Model Army camped in the pub garden and hossle after sacking nearby Bolebec Castle at Whitchurch.

Why the name Black Boy? There are a number of similarly named pubs across the UK but the origins of the name is not clear cut. The most common belief is from when Charles II (1660-1685) was in exile his dark complexion earned him the nickname The Black Boy.

Building on the reputation that The Black Boy has been offering true hospitality for centuries, Paul Mitchell and his team are delighted to continue supporting the local community by providing a fantastic place to meet, relax and enjoy a drink and fantastic fresh, seasonal food.